Clayton and Geraldine VanTassel moved to St. Andrews from Digby, NS in 1957. Clayton was the Golf Pro at the Algonquin Golf Course from 1957 to 1985. In 1981 he purchased the parcel of land that now is the home of the St. Stephen Golf Course. The golf course opened in 1982 with 6 holes. It was completed with 18 holes in 1998.